Wednesday, October 13, 2010

island hopping


Cruising on the Aegean Sea has been amazing! Yesterday we visited the Island of Patmos where John wrote the book of Revelation. Today we are spending the day on the Island of Rhodes. The old city wall and the stone streets make this place feel ancient, but the internet cafe I am sitting in definitely gives it a modern twist. We all got lost in the massive archeology museum we visited today in Rhodes. Then we went shopping! I enjoyed a chicken gyro for lunch and I'm scouting out a good gelato place for an afternoon snack! The weather has turned in our favor and I am finally wearing shorts! I have enjoyed exploring the Greek Islands and have learned a lot about this history of this land.

The Monastery of Saint John on the Island of Patmos was probably my favorite site in recent days. The climb up to the top was brutal, but the view was well worth it. There is a lot of tradition surrounding this island, but thankfully we have our leader Dr. David May to keep us straight on what is actually in the bible and what is tradition. Our tour guide on this section of the trip made a few additions to the Biblical text. I wish everyone had seen Dr. May shake his head. He is scheduled to give us a lecture tonight on the truth about John and the Island of Patmos. I for one am finding this all quite funny! One of the benefits of traveling with a New Testament expert!

One of my co-travelers, Robin, took an amazing picture while we were visiting the monastery. I thought I would share it with you! I think it captures the place very well. Tomorrow we travel to Crete and Santorini before heading to the mainland.

I hope everyone is well! I miss you all!
your friend,
melissa

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post Melissa! In fact, I have enjoyed all of them. Thank you so much for doing this. I wish you the best on the rest of your journey. Give my regards to everyone. Tell Robin that picture is awesome.

    Francisco

    ReplyDelete