Monday, October 4, 2010

Packing my Nike Tennis Shoes


Dr. David May has said hundreds of times that a student can never really understand the New Testament without seeing the setting first hand. Last year I took both of Dr. May’s New Testament courses and casually thought about how great a trip to the land that Paul traveled would be, but it seemed out of reach. Now I find myself presented with the opportunity of a lifetime. An experience that would be unforgettable and life changing actually became a real possibility with the sponsorship from CBTS. A trip to Greece and Turkey with a group from Central led by Dr. May seems too good to be true; it really doesn’t get any better.

I am ecstatic about this opportunity because I know that it will enrich my seminary experience in ways that nothing else can. I always regretted not studying abroad as an undergraduate and to this day I constantly urge current students that if they have the chance to go for it. Well, my second chance just arrived and I understand the value of it.

A trip to Greece and Turkey under the direction of a New Testament expert will take me to the next level of understanding the text of Paul’s letters. It will enable me to visualize those moments when Paul was changing the world with the Gospel. I am certain that my appreciation for the text and the legacy of that text will increase significantly. Not only will this be a time of academic growth, but also a time of spiritual growth. Spending time in the land that holds so much of our tradition will have great impact on who I am and my relationship with Christ.

Traveling overseas always has potential to change one’s life. This opportunity is even greater. I am excited to share this experience with you through this blog. With a group of eleven, I will be off to follow the footsteps of Paul bright and early Wednesday Oct. 6th. My bags are packed and my nike tennis shoes are ready for a lot of walking. Stick with me as I take my first steps into the world of Turkey. I hope to greet you from Istanbul in just a couple of days!

Melissa Bryson

1 comment: